Sunday, July 8, 2012

Six Sentence Sunday: Honeysuckles and Hummingbirds

Posted by M.L. Falconer on 12:12 AM


I’ll continue with Squishing Whistle Pigs for the time being. Last week’s post went over well, so I’m curious to know how the next few weeks will go. Squishing Whistle Pigs is a bit of a dark read, at least at first. The main character is heartbroken and rock-bottom with depression, struggling to find a hand hold on spirituality. I hope you all know how appreciative I am for you taking time out of your weekend to visit my blog to read and comment.

            These are the next six following last week’s post.

Wasn’t time to say goodbye or to ask why. My mind hovers on an image of her face, wanting to picture her the way she was when we were in love. My emotions have become dull like the knife that unwillingly cut my breakfast, though I smother with the hash browns under sausage gravy.
            The wind is bitter this spring. The snow has lingered longer than past years. Honeysuckles bloomed late and the hummingbirds have moved on.

Please visit the official site for more great writers for Six Sentence Sunday, and click on some of my favorite Sixer’s here: Wendy S. Russo, L.J. Kentowski, Loni Flowers, Kelly SeguinMae Clair, Daniela Renelt, Karen de Lange, Mackenzie Crowne, and Steven Montano.

On a side note, I’ve relaunched my personal blog; It’s going to be a hoot, based on my abstract life and all the dumb stuff people do, namely myself. I hope you’ll visit and have a good laugh at my expense. The Karma Chronicles.

13 comments:

I love your use of descriptive phrases in this six. They're unique and do an excellent job of setting the scene. Nice, solid six.

You have a dark dramatic talent, Mel. This makes me sigh. Deep, heavy sighs. I like the symbolism, the bitter wind, lingering snow and the reference to moving on at the end. - I'm really curious about your character coming in contact with spirituality and what consequences this might have for his inner life. I hope I'll get to read about that one of those Sundays. :)

You alway have such a way with words. Love the reference to breakfast! Great 6 Mel!

A six that conjures an emotional reaction. Beautiful but grim, and so well done. I especially love the last paragraph. Your prose is always amazing!

As always, your prose flips the switch of empathy. Nicely done.

Writing about lost love can turn into such a cliche collection of words. But you're avoiding that in an amazing way. "The wind is bitter this spring..." Haunting.

Nice six, M.L. :-)

Love the way you describe the emotions - a dull knife... You really know how to put a sense into perspective. Great 6!

Your writing is most poignat with a hint of a good chuckle;-)

Very emotional; you create a deep sense of empathy here. Well done.

Beautiful and lush, yet emotionally muffled.

The title, by the way, has my complete attention!

Strong characterization here, and effective interplay of good details with visceral emotional reality. Great stuff!

(Oh, and thanks so much for featuring SOULRAZOR on your page. I'm blushing! ;D)

Thank you all for the inspiring comments! I appreciate it very much. Your comments are all so flattering. Your kind words mean a great deal.

Dana: He tends to get a bit sarcastic about things. It's an amazing feeling to know you're so taken with the story; that's a wonderful compliment. I'll stick with Squishing Whistle Pigs for the next several weeks, although, If you would like to read the full piece, I would be ok with that. I would send it to you if you like. It's a short read, roughly 17 pages. I'll need to tweak it a little before I send it so, say the word. ;)

Teresa: I was told so many times during my college days that my work was clicheic, so I strive to avoid it as much as possible.

i'm glad you like the title Sarah. The title came to me before I had a plot for it. That was a challenge. ;)

Post a Comment

  • RSS
  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin

Search Site

 
  • Earthwalker: The Seduction of Decklan Holmes

    Earthwalker: The Seduction of Decklan Holmes
    Available at Amazone.com for Kindle readers! Please check out this fantastic work from an amazing author! Some of the best writing you'll ever read!

    Myth and Madness by K. Bran Bardsley

    Myth and Madness by K. Bran Bardsley
    One of my best writing friends, my muse and an amazing author. You won't be dissapointed ... find this NaNoWriMo winning book on Amazon.com. You guys gotta check this out!

    The Enchanted Orchards by Kristin Maddock

    The Enchanted Orchards by Kristin Maddock
    An exciting title from a passionate new author! Available Now at Amazon.com!
  • Guardian of Fate by L.J. Kentowski

    Guardian of Fate by L.J. Kentowski
    Check out this work by an amazing author and a great friend. Guardian of Fate is available at Amazon.com

    Oblivion's Forge

    Oblivion's Forge
    An amazing dark fantasy read by Simon Williams. Get your copy at Amazon.com
  • Taking Chances By Loni Flowers

    Taking Chances By Loni Flowers
    Wonderful romance novel by a talented and inspireing author and a wonderful friend. Available in paperback and on kindle at Amazon.com

    Soulrazor by Steven Montano

    Soulrazor by Steven Montano
    Book 3 of the Blood Skies series. One of the best reads you can buy! Available at Amazon.com for Kindle!

    Empyreal Fate by Rachel Hunter

    Empyreal Fate by Rachel Hunter
    Check out new author Rachel Hunter and her debut novel!
  • Writer's Digest Community

    2012 Reading Challenge

    2012 Reading Challenge

    2012 Reading Challenge
    M.L. has read 2 books toward his goal of 25 books.
    hide

    Goodreads Bookshelf

    Mel's bookshelf: currently-reading

    The Willows The Hunger Games The Shadow Rising The Dragon Reborn Moll Flanders The Pale Horseman

    More of Mel's books »
    Book recommendations, book reviews, quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists

    My Bookshelf at Shelfari

    wibiya widget